Bruce D. Lathrop is Of Counsel with Lubka & White LLP. His practice focuses on intellectual property, corporate law, dispute resolution, and commercial and government contracts.
Bruce has been a business lawyer in the Los Angeles area for over twenty-nine years, providing strategic legal counseling to entrepreneurs, CEOs, and corporate law departments in the software, medical device, aerospace, defense, construction, and industrial supply industries.
Bruce has represented clients in patent prosecution; technology licensing; government contractor internal investigations, compliance, claims, Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) procurements, and bid protests; and business asset sales; and contract matters. Such representations typically involve understanding complex issues involving computer hardware and software, geographic information systems software, biomedical technology, e-commerce, and system design, development, and testing.
Area of Expertise
- Government Contracts
- Bid Protests
- Patent, trade secret, and software licensing
- Patent prosecution
- Technology Asset Sales
- Dispute Resolution
- The University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, J.D., 1990
- The University of California, Los Angeles, Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, Bachelors of Science, 1985
Bar and Courts
- California (1990)
- United States Court of Federal Claims (1997)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (1998)
- Negotiated and drafted domestic and international software license agreements
- Prepared SBIR technical data rights responses for medical device and software industry clients
- Led contractor corrective action and cooperation efforts to avoid criminal prosecution
- Engaged in settlement and adversarial license negotiations with patent owners
- Advised clients on government contract performance requirements and technical data rights
- Drafted patent non-infringement and invalidity opinions in connection with new products, acquisitions, and litigation
- Key member of ADR team that successfully resolved $90 million aerospace contract claim
- Drafted patent applications for e-commerce, database management, solar energy, surgical instruments, and prosthesis fitting systems
- Launched compliance program and training
- Revised and strengthened client’s standard terms for technology licensing and consulting
- Prosecuted U.S. and NATO contract claims involving radar, propulsion, and satellite systems
- Advised client on terms and legal risks associated with various standards setting consortia
- Filed or opposed bid protests involving environmental and concession contracts
- Performed employee exit interviews as part of client’s trade secret protection policy
- Completed internal compliance investigations in connection with due diligence, voluntary disclosure, and subpoena-response
- Advised on patentability, inventorship disputes, patent portfolio maintenance, and overall patent strategy
- Led suspension and debarment negotiations
- Advised client on rights and obligations under joint development agreement
- Negotiated, coordinated due diligence, and closed multiple business and real estate deals
- Represented medical device company to resolve dispute with LLC member and affiliated contract manufacturer
- Settled software development dispute and resolved ownership issues without litigation
Selected Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Revised Policy Directive for the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Program, ABA Section of Public Contract Law, Intellectual Property Committee, Monthly Telephone Meeting, June 18, 2020.
- “Intellectual Property Bootcamp,” Cal Poly Student Innovation Idea Lab, Pomona, November 2015, February 2019.
- ”Formation & Other Legalities Entrepreneurs Need to Know,” Cal Poly Chapter of National Society of Leadership & Success & Cal Poly Student Idea & Innovation Lab, Pomona, February 2016.
- ”Intellectual Property for Founders and Entrepreneurs,” Venture in LA, Los Angeles, November 2015.
- “Support and Finance for Entrepreneurs,” Biotech Connection LA Entrepreneurship Summit 2015, Los Angeles, June 2015.
- “Overcoming Small Agency Procurement Challenges,” ABA Section of Public Contract Law 10th Annual State & Local Procurement Symposium, Philadelphia, April 2015 (Moderator).
- “The Roles of Angel Investors in Mentoring and Funding Early Stage Companies,” Pasadena Bar Association, Technology Section, Pasadena, November 2011 (Moderator).
- “Post-Grant Scope Assessments: A Proposal for Patent Reform From a Different Angle,” Patent, Trademark & Copyright J., Vol. 73, No. 1792, BNA, Nov. 3, 2006.
- Client personnel training presentations in the following areas: Business Partnering; Antitrust Law; Warranties and Indemnities; Intellectual Property in Federal Contracting; Strategic Alliances and Joint Ventures; Trade Secrets; and Technology Acquisition and Licensing.
- “A Fast Response Seminar on Acquisition Reform Under the Federal Acquisition Streamlining Act,” National Contract Management Association, Vandenberg and Channel Islands Chapters, November 1994.
- “Design-Induced Errors in Computer Systems,” Computer/Law Journal, Winter 1990.
Associations and Community Service
- Public Contract Law Section of the American Bar Association, Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee and Vice-Chair of the State and Local Procurement Committees
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Pasadena Angels, Member and Past-Director
- City of Bradbury, Council Member
- MADIA Tech Launch, President